Thursday, July 10, 2008

The End of the Pre-school Era


Today is the last day of summer camp. It is also the last day that all the little Hu's in Hu-ville will ever be at the pre-school on an official capacity.

I've been driving to our pre-school daily for almost five years, and it's a little sad knowing that I will no longer drive my little toddlers/pre-schoolers to our lovely school. I truly believe that my kids' pre-school is the best in our area. I've met some really nice families (some who have become lifelong friends), and the sense of community that we have at our school is something that I've never experience anywhere else. This is the place where my children first learned how to make friends, and learned their ABC's. This is a place where I've also learned how to become a better mom.

We started at our pre-school on my daughter's 2nd birthday. My son was only 8 months old. I remember my daughter, shy but determined, jumped right into her 2 year old class. She may have been shy, but she was thrilled to be around children her own age.

I also remember my son's first day of pre-school. The look that he gave me as I backed out of the classroom would have broken your heart. He had this look as if saying "Why are you abandoning me? Are you going to come back?" My reassurances didn't seem to help, and in hindsight...it probably was just as hard on me.

In my mind, I have plenty of time before my last born (okay, I'm being a little melodramatic) goes off to kindergarten. But it's only six weeks away. Time has a way of sneaking up on you.

Last year, my daughter started kindergarten. Since she has a late birthday, she benefited from an extra year of pre-school. She was ready, and this past year, she did well socially and academically. Again, she was shy, but determined.

My son is a bit less prepared, less academic, and less independent. I worry about him, but I have to keep in mind that part of the "growing up" experience is to let go. I can't shield him from every negative experience (although I wish I could), and although there will be some...that we are here for him. Although he may give me the same "Why are you abandoning me? Are you coming back?" look on his first day of kindergarten...I know he'll be fine. He was in pre-school.

1 comment:

Stimey said...

You guys definitely had a good run there. I think I'll be in tears my last day there. Fortunately I have a couple years.

Your little dude will do great in kindergarten. He's a great kid.