Monday, July 7, 2008

Decluttering Hu-ville

My alarm woke me up around 6am. I usually run every other day, and I even put on my running clothes and shoes and did myself proud, because as soon as I hit the basement (where the treadmill is located).....I decided to watch tv instead.

I flipped on the Style channel and watched "Clean House." As I sat there watching the show, I can hear Niecy Nash screaming at me..."do you need all this crap?" Hell's no girl! I don't!

The show inspired me to face my secret shame....my storage room in the basement. The fact that I break out in a sweat just climbing over boxes and bags to get to the treadmill should have given me a clue that I needed to get rid of stuff long ago. This room alone should make me a candidate for "Clean House." I wish I had a picture of the room before getting rid of the thousands of boxes and bags....

I would say about 80% of my clutter is kid related. We kept all of our baby/toddler stuff "just in case." The chances of us having another baby is like .001%.

My husband is seriously attached to anything baby related, and giving away even Baby Einstein videos just about kills him. I guess in a way I'm kind of attached to the baby stuff as well. In the off .001% chance that we'd have another baby I don't want to spend the money to buy all that stuff again.

Nevertheless, around 7am in the morning, I listed two potty chairs, an exo-saucer, booster seat, bibs, sippy cups, bottles, videos, toys, bath chairs, maternity clothes, etc (and there's still plenty more to go).... on Freecycle. Within minutes, every single item has been spoken for! And....I can actually see the floor in my storage space now. I did this all before 8am people!

In my search for things to give away, I happened upon a bikini that I wore in high school. I was a size 0 back in the day. A size 0! Yeah...you have my permission to laugh now. I'm not sure how I'm going to even list that on Freecycle.

Now that I'm on a roll getting rid of baby/toddler paraphenelia, I'm going to get pregnant....just watch....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, the good thing is that if you do get prego again, you can list wanteds on freecycle and get all of that stuff for free again. Baby #3 doesn't need new stuff anyway. Plus knowing what we know now, they don't need half the crap we had in the first place. Hey, cavemen did it without an excersaucer, didn't they? I am proud of you for getting rid of your "foolishness" (another clean house quote).

Unknown said...

ok, that last comment was me. I didn't mean to be anonymous. Now have a google account so am no longer anonymous.